On Tue, Aug 07, 2007 at 11:49:18AM +1000, Scott Smedley wrote:
> > >  * GNU make is needed to build it.
>
> I'm so glad someone is helping on this - I find the build system
> complicated.

It *is* complicated.  As a rule of thumb, always run

  $ make distcheck

when you work on the installation process.  By eliminating the
errors you can learn a lot about how automake works.  And don't
hesitate to ask if you don't understand something.

The distcheck target does the following:

 * Generate the tarball.
 * Unpack the tarball.
 * Build and install the tarball with separate source, build and
   install directories.  It write protects the directories during
   build steps when they are not allowed to be written.
 * Deinstall and check that everything is removed.

Common errors are that the Makefile tried to create a file in the
source directory and that files are left in the install directory
after "make uninstall".  It's difficult to understand from the
error messages though.

The autoconf/automake documentation is also very good:

  http://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf/manual/
  http://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/

And there used to be the "autobook", but it's no longer available
as postscript, only as a paper copy and html files.

Ciao

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

 --
Dominik Vogt, dominik.vogt (at) gmx.de