> Ok, doing some tests it seems that the logic of setting window/icon names in
> fvwm is broken.
> The behavior depends on the ability of the client > to do set
> UTF8-properties, but it is broken in any case. Tests follow:

Just on a hunch, you might want to try this version:

   ftp://ftp.fvwm.org/pub/fvwm/version-2/fvwm-2.6.3.tar.gz

A patch was added in 2.6.4 that seems really suspicious to me.  For my own
purposes, I've been reverting the patch to event.c that relates to icon names
because it's been causing segfaults for me.

Jonathan