On Sun, Oct 16, 2016 at 5:01 PM, Dominik Vogt <dominik.v...@gmx.de> wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 16, 2016 at 05:09:57PM +0100, Thomas Adam wrote:
> > On Sun, Oct 16, 2016 at 04:48:34PM +0100, Dominik Vogt wrote:
> > > Maybe it's a silly question, but *why* does fvwm need mandatory
> > > image support at all?  Arent's images in a window manager just
> > > gimmicks?
> >
> > It's not a silly question, but I'd hoped the commit message said enough.
> > Gimmick is a matter of perspective.  I'm trying to stike a balance
> through
> > useability.  I don't think it's unreasonable to assume one image library
> as
> > the de facto; others are still available.  I'm trying to frame this in
> terms
> > of:
> >
> > * Making the default config useable and useful (which from what I'm
> seeing,
> >   does entail some form of image loading (for icons im menus and
> elsewhere)
> >
> > * Integrating with other third-party applications which generate menus
> (which
> >   use PNG).
> I completely understand that, and PNG seems to be a sensible
> choice.  The thing I'm unsure about is whether it should be
> possible to build fvwm without any libraries and expendable
> features to have a lean, minimalistic WM.  But I've honestly no
> idea whether anybody did that in the recent past or not.
> Perosnally, if I weren't too lazy to change the config, I could
> perfectly do without image support:  The menu logo is just
> decoration, icons work as well when done as text, and the
> FvwmButtons images could be replaced by thext or just menu
> entries.
What about having libpng be default but having a --disable-libpng
./configure option to disable? Have it set up to error out if libpng and
that option are not present with an error that says building without libpng
may affect the default config and other applications. If you want to build
without libpng use --disable-libpng.

This way if someone really wants to build without image support they can
without having to edit the configure script. Though the answer to having
such an option may be on what happens when fvwm hits the .png images in the
default config without support. I'm hoping it just throws a warning and
leaves a blank place where the image should be.