On 21 May 2001 18:16:14 +0200, Dominik Vogt wrote:

> I'm rather reluctant to open this can of worms again this close to
> 2.4.  The problems you mention are not nice, but everything works
> as it used to right now.  I already tried to fix some of this, but
> was not able to do so without breaking backwards compatibility.
>
> May this be a candidate for the ominous 3.0 release?  I'd really
> like to throw away the whole parsing stuff and write it from
> scratch in a clean, well designed way.  Of course that will break
> a lot of config files :-/

I know about these issues, because I write a lot of config stuff. But I am
concerned that fvwm-themes should work with fvwm-2.4.x not fvwm-3.0.x.

I see how to fix the "space in function name" problem, it just requires
some duplication - second PeekToken after expand and reevaluation of bif.
But this problem is not important, and we may just leave it as is.
However the module command processing is way too limiting.

I patched execute_function() locally and other problems mentioned by me
are fixed. Tomorrow I will patch expand() so it will not expand too much
for module commands, then test everything and send the resulting small
patch. I want to keep backward compatibility as much as possible.

Regards,
Mikhael.