On Tue, May 29, 2001 at 03:02:09PM +0000, Mikhael Goikhman wrote:
> On 29 May 2001 16:29:22 +0200, Andre Bonhote wrote:
> >
> > the sentence in the subject is *NOT* my opinion! that's for sure!
> >
> > i just found a funny lil program called "wmfishtime" [1] which does
> > nothing than display a clock. when i start it under my fvwm2 [2], it
> > just shows a gray box.
> >
> > in the tarfile, there's also a file called "ALL_I_GET_IS_A_GRAY_BOX"
> > which refers to the INSTALL file. there it says that my windowmanager
> > sucks because it's broken, i should use -b to run it.
> >
> > i don't really know much about c programming, even less about
> > xwindows-coding. all i found in fishmon.c was this:

> >  /* actually draw the rgb buffer to screen */
> >   if (!broken_wm)
> >       gdk_draw_rgb_image(bm.iconwin, bm.gc, 4, 4, 56, 56,
> >         GDK_RGB_DITHER_NONE, bm.rgb, 56 * 3);
> >   else
> >       gdk_draw_rgb_image(bm.win, bm.gc, 4, 4, 56, 56,
> >         GDK_RGB_DITHER_NONE, bm.rgb, 56 * 3);
> >     }
> >
> > that's it. i don't know what's so bad bout using either of these
> > methods. but the author of this program says my fvwm2 sucks, and i
> > wanted you to know. perhaps there's really a bug or sth you didn't
> > notice.
> >
> > [1]:
> > http://www.ne.jp/asahi/linux/timecop/
> > http://www.ne.jp/asahi/linux/timecop/software/wmfishtime-1.23.tar.gz
>
> This app is broken itself, although funny. :)
> It ignores delete window protocol, so only Destroy works on it.
>
> It lists E and kwm as broken WMs too, but I see nothing broken here.
> It asks to draw on the icon window not on the main window, so if you
> iconify wmfishtime (without -b) in normal WMs, you will see an animation.

It simply does not request to be iconig.  If I change this line

    wmhints.initial_state = WithdrawnState;

to this, all works well:

    wmhints.initial_state = IconicState;

Furthermore the applications uses the USSize hint without user
request which is absolutely forbidden.  I think I'll send a patch
to the author.

> The --broken option should be correctly named --not-in-icon.
> And I think it should be a default, while --in-icon may be an option.

Right.

Dominik Vogt, email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
LifeBits Aktiengesellschaft, Albrechtstr. 9, D-72072 Tuebingen
fon: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-0, fax: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-20