On 26 Jun 2001 16:53:07 -0700, Adam J. Richter wrote:

>       Sorry, I misread this question before.  That is *not* the problem.
>
>       The problem is that "./configure ; make all" results in a build
> failure.  Termcap is not available on this system, and ./configure
> acted as if it was anyhow, because the absense of termcap is not
> automatically detected.  I do not care whether this program uses ncurses
> or termcap if both are available, but if only one is available, it should
> automatically use that.

Ok, now I understand the problem.

>       After I applied my patch, the FvwmConsole program linked correctly
> (with "-lreadline -lncurses" instead of "-lreadline -ltermcap"), and
> installed without errors.

I hope I explained why your patch seemed to work for you. It is a
combination of events that works on your system only.

> I will try to figure out how to use FvwmConsole to attempt the other
> test you requested.

Add this line to your fvwmrc and press Alt-F12 (after restarting):

  Key F12 A M Module FvwmConsole

>       I believe that ncurses can be configured to install a symlink
> from /usr/lib/libtermcap.a to /usr/lib/ncurses.a, or at least that older
> verions of ncurses could, and that this may have hidden the problem before.

Yes, this may be a problem. Please investigate whether you have good
libtermcap.a and/or libtermcap.so.

configure checks that a trivial program containing one call readline()
works with "-lreadline -ltermcap" and decides that termcap library is ok.
This is not a perfect check, but it was such since fvwm-2.1.x versions.

What build error do you get?

BTW, which mailer do you use, it does not add References: and In-Reply-To:
headers, so threads are not preserved...

Regards,
Mikhael.