On 18 Aug 2002 10:19:54 +0200, Ulrich Fahrenberg wrote:

> I recently, finally, pulled myself together to upgrade from 2.2.2 to
> 2.4.8, and I am pretty impressed about an apparent enhancement in
> speed I really didn't suspect: I expected 2.4.8 to be slightly slower
> actually, since it's more complex. Good work...
>
> OK, here's the deal: make install creates a symbolic link fvwm ->
> fvwm2 in BINDIR, which in my case is /pack/fvwm/bin, with a symbolic
> link from /usr/local/bin. There is also a file /usr/X11R6/bin/fvwm2,
> the old fvwm-2.2.2. In my PATH, /usr/local/bin comes way before
> /usr/X11R6/bin.
>
> The last line of my .xinitrc says ``exec /usr/local/bin/fvwm'', which
> as I said is a link to /pack/fvwm/bin/fvwm, which in turn is a link to
> fvwm2. This last link is the problem, since apparently .xinitrc
> ignores everything about my PATH and finds this fvwm2 in
> /usr/X11R6/bin, instead of /pack/fvwm/bin. I.e. my old fvwm-2.2.2 gets
> started.
>
> It took me a couple of days to find out what happened, and of course
> the problem was solved easily by moving /usr/X11R6/bin/fvwm2 to a safe
> and unaccessible place... But the problem could've been avoided from
> the beginning by creating links with absolute paths instead of
> relative paths during install:
>
> Before:
>       $BINDIR/fvwm    -> fvwm2
> After:
>       $BINDIR/fvwm    -> $BINDIR/fvwm2

This is strange. I can't reproduce this behaviour with any shell.
Relative symlinks should not be searched in $PATH, but in ./ only.
I would suspect a problem with your setup otherwhere.

If the original symlink does not work, does the following work?

        $bindir/fvwm    -> ./fvwm2

Can you make it reproducible using "ln -s date something" commands?

Regards,
Mikhael.