On Tue, 17 Sep 2002, Dominik Vogt wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 17, 2002 at 01:54:56AM -0400, Suzanne Skinner wrote:
>
> > Also, CFLAGS aren't working at all?
>
> They should be working as usual.  I have disabled them in
> configure because they often cause some tests to fail.  How did
> you specify the flags?  When I run
>
>   $ make CFLAGS="..."
>
> it works as it always did.

If I understand the True Gnu Way Of Doing Things right, configure
should read any CFLAGS (and CXXFLAGS and LDFLAGS and ...) you have set
in your shell and write them to the appropriate Makefiles, such that
afterwards,

        make CFLAGS="$CFLAGS"

should be equivalent to simply saying

        make

, and
        make CFLAGS="aVerySpecialFlag"

would be the same as

        make CFLAGS="aVerySpecialFlag $CFLAGS"

Of course there can be good reasons to disable CFLAGS recognition in
configure, but then things do not work the True Gnu Way anymore (which
is not A Bad Thing, but maybe it deserves to be mentioned in the
INSTALL file).

Just my 2c,
Uli

--