--- Marcus Lundblad wrote:
> Now it should work to use a Unicde font in a non-UTF-8 locale
> (I tried using "C" and "sv_SE") and use composing characters
> (tried with the Arabic strings Nadim supplied).
>
> I tested this with normal and rotated text using locales "C",
> "sv_SE" and "sv_SE.UTF-8".

Great, let me see if your changes are in the 0709 snapshot.  Yup
they are.

BTW: on some systems I get the following error,

 cd . \
   && CONFIG_FILES=Makefile CONFIG_HEADERS= /bin/sh ./config.status
 creating Makefile
 ld.so.1: make: fatal: librt.so.1: version `SUNW_1.2' not found (required by
file make)
 Killed

and on others I don't - thought it might be of interest to add that
check as well into configure possibly.

Problematic - uname -a : SunOS pez 5.7 Generic_106541-15 sun4u
OK          - uname -a : SunOS pod 5.8 Generic_108528-15 sun4u

Marcus, I'm confirming that your changes in fact work :-)  Well done !!!

> Nadim, do some of the Arabic combining characters have there
> equivalent in ISO-8859-6?  Could you supply me with some strings
> in ISO-8859-6, I would like to test it.

Its a long story, but don't bother with ISO-8859-6 (its not usable),
you won't see shaping.

In short, per

  http://czyborra.com/charsets/iso8859.html#ISO-8859-6

   ''This fixed font is not well-suited for text display.
     Each Arabic letter occurs in up to four (2^2) presentation
     forms: initial, medial, final or separate [and 8859-6 is
     missing all except "separate"].''

All of our work on Arabeyes.org have been strictly UTF-8.

Regards,

 - Nadim