On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 12:16:25AM -0500, Chris Siebenmann wrote:
>  What I would like to be able to do is select a window from the keyboard
> in a way very similar to searching for text in a browser: hit a key
> combination, start typing the name of a window (maybe with some sort of

Yes, this has been done with dmenu in the past (by me, as it happens) -- but
it was just a proof of concept.

What you'd need to do is get FVWM to dump the window ring (with suitable
conditions) to a file and have dmenu read the contents of that in:

All (CurrentPage, AcceptsFocus, ...) PipeRead `... > /some/file`

But this forces you to then use FvwmCommand which is never good for this
sort of thing.

Making this a module (perhaps expanding FvwmWindowMenu) is something I've
also tried before, and it works quite well.  This then doesn't need
FvwmCommand or dmenu, and becomes just another way of finding windows.