On 1 May 2012 20:46, Jaimos F Skriletz <jai...@diamond.boisestate.edu> wrote:
> On 05/01/2012 12:53 PM, Dominique Michel wrote:
>>
>> A very common way to write $HOME in a path is with ~
>>
>> With "PATH="~/bin:$PATH" into ~/.bash_profile, I get only the first
>> menu line on the screen.
>> With "PATH="/home/dom/bin:$PATH" into ~/.bash_profile, I get the 2
>> menu lines on the screen.
>>
>> It look like the "Test (x xdradio) ..." work only in the first case.
>> Is it a bug in fvwm or somewhere else, or some obscure and wanted stuff
>> I am not aware of?
>
> It is an issue with the shell, and how it expands special characters. When
> the shell encounters an Env Variable or a special character like ~, *, !,
> etc it exapnds it based on the rules of the character.

Not for the Test command, it isn't.  This doesn't have anything to do
with the shell or the quoting problems you'd find there.  And
actually, this is inherent in the environment FVWM is using for
itself, not in ~/.bash_profile, which unless sourced before FVWM
starts, might not have the same PATH set as interactive shells.