On Wed, Aug 12, 2020 at 06:54:53PM -0400, Dan Espen wrote:
> Recently I went from a 1600x1200 monitor to a 3840x2160 monitor.
>
> Fvwm was the least of my problems.

Same here.  Mind you, even on laptops with 4K screens (so-called HiDPI), the
situation is diabolical.  X11 really doesn't work seamlessly in these
conditions.  I've resorted to all sorts of xrandr --dpi tricks without much
success.

Even if you do manage to get some scaling working, you're still left with the
various widget libraries playing nicely with different applications.  For
example, on this laptop which has:

% xdpyinfo | grep dimensions
  dimensions:    3840x2160 pixels (1016x571 millimeters)

Firefox looks fine now that I've wrangled everything, but menus, buttons and
other widgets are so small I can't even see what I'm clicking on half the
time.  Messing with GDK_SCALE env var and others helps, but it's still not
great.

It's a shame that outside of larger DEs like GNOME where this is all
integrated, X11 and widget libraries just fall apart.  I'm not sure what the
best solution is to address this, but something needs to be done since it's
dire.

> An old config should work pretty well.
> Mine was born in 1996 and is pretty much the same as it was then,
> except that I changed to a more modern font syntax a pretty long time
> ago.

Hear hear!

-- Thomas