Thomas Dickey <dic...@his.com> writes:

> On Sun, Aug 16, 2020 at 08:39:08AM -0400, Dan Espen wrote:
>> ISPF edit.
>> I don't remember XEDIT well (1978), but I think the 2 editors are very close.
>
> not really (aside from running on the same hardware).
>
> for your amusement
>
> https://invisible-island.net/personal/oldprogs.html#y1982

Interesting but I don't see where it shows great differences between the
two.

I see  XEDIT uses  the M/MM  convention like  ISPF Edit. Commands on the
command line or over the sequence numbers.   Similar shift
commands. I  see some commands  are quite different words  doing similar
things. and some the same.  The screens themselves can look very similar.

I wrote loads of ISPF edit macros.  "G" for "ex all" followed by "find all Y",
"!s" for a spelling checker.  "CC" for compile.

While I was working on S/34 and later Wang/VS I wrote an ISPF like
full screen editor.  It may seem perverse, but I wrote the editor
in COBOL.  Worked out quite well.

I didn't know you were a mainframer too.
Cool.

--
Dan Espen