On Thu, Sep 29, 2005 at 04:53:35PM +0000, Mikhael Goikhman wrote:
> On 29 Sep 2005 09:04:06 -0700, Zack Brown wrote:
> >
> > It would be nice to be able to specify the page size at startup. A lot
> > of folks run maximized xterms with no window decorations, just because
> > if they expanded the window to keep the decorations outside of the
> > screen, the decorations would encroach on neighboring pages. Having a
> > page size larger than the screen size would fix this.
>
> I think you simply want to have a command to switch a window
> into full-screen mode and back. Just use this:
>
>   DestroyFunc FuncFvwmMaximizeFullScreen
>   AddToFunc   FuncFvwmMaximizeFullScreen
>   + I ThisWindow (Maximized) WindowStyle Title, Borders
>   + I TestRc (!Match) WindowStyle !Title, !Borders
>   + I TestRc (!Match) Raise
>   + I TestRc (!Match) UpdateStyles
>   + I Maximize ewmhiwa
>
>   Key F11  A  SC  Pick FuncFvwmMaximizeFullScreen

I considered this, but there are problems. For one thing, having maximized,
borderless xterms right next to each other leaves no empty desktop area to click
in to call up a menu. For another, a maximized xterm with no borders will extend
slightly into the neighbording pages, which is ugly.

> > Variable page sizes would solve this problem elegantly.
>
> I don't think so.

Can you give some reason? I don't see any drawback to variable-sized pages. It's
just an elegant solution to any situation where you want portions of the window
to extend beyond the edge of the screen, without encroaching on neighboring
pages.

Be well,
Zack

--