Mikhael Goikhman wrote:
> On 06 Apr 2002 11:04:07 +1000, Felix Karpfen wrote:
> >
> > I have downloaded fvwmconf-0.19 to assist me with configuring the
> > successfully-installed fvwm2-2.4.6.
>
> If you read the fvwmconf's documentation you may find that the latest
> version it is tested with was fvwm-2.0.45. Don't use it.

Thank you.

I am glad I took the time to ask instead of experimenting recklessly.  I
hope that this list does not assign scores to senders who post
<needless|foolish> questions.

> What is your goal?
>
> If you want to configure FVWM with a minimal effort, install and use
> fvwm-themes package. There is a separate mailing list for its users.

I needed to be told that too.
Subscribe request now lodged.

> If you want to fully configure FVWM, you should learn its man pages and
> try everything you think you may like. Start from any sample configuration
> file that works for you and edit it.

That looks like my real objective.

Appearance - at this point - is a non-issue.  The aim is to dispense
with needless bloat when using my favourite programs in an XWindows
environment.

While my installed fvwm2 already does that (more or less), it looks as
though I need to learn a new language in order to understand the "sample
configurations+man page" content and get the full benefit of what fvwm2
has to offer.

Since I am a geriatric and time is no longer a precious commodity, I
have created a new User who starts with the default sample file in
~/.fvwm2rc file and adds bits and pieces from the other samples to see
what they do.  Some experiments work and some do not.  Before I weary
with this list with my failures (assuming that this and not the
fvwm-themes list is the correct one), I will see what I can discover on
my own.

Again, many thanks for the prompt and helpful answers.

Felix
--
Felix Karpfen
[EMAIL PROTECTED]