On Monday 21 April 2003 23:21, Mikhael Goikhman wrote:
> > Hm, I cannot get preprocessing to work. Here are the relevant lines
> > from my .xinitrc:
> >
> >     WINDOWMANAGER='/home/felix/local/bin/fvwm -cmd "Module FvwmPerl -p
> > /home/felix/.fvwm2rc"'
> >     exec $WINDOWMANAGER 2> ~/local/var/log/windowmanager.log
>
> This command looses the meaning of double quotes, so it becomes
> -cmd '"Module'.

It does not seem to be possible to pass an environment variable as a command
line to Bash's Exec command. One probably has to specify the arguments and
the command name separately, eg.
    exec $WM $WM_ARG1 $WM_ARG
works. However, I found this too cumbersome. So I wrote a little startup
script "~./fvwm/startfvwm" and let this be called from .xinitrc.

Felix

--
To contact me personally don't reply but send email to
  felix DOT klee AT inka DOT de