On 26 May 2003 21:18:07 -0400, Rouben Rostamian wrote:

> Fvwm version: 2.4.5
>
> Let's say I have three windows with resource names win1, win2, win3.
> I want to set things up so that when any of the three windows are
> raised, the other two are also raised automatically.  Similarly,
> when any one of them is lowered, the other two are also lowered
> automatically.  In other words, the three windows act in tandem as
> far as raising/lowering goes.
>
> Let's assume that the geometry of the windows are fixed and they
> do now overlap, otherwise we may run into problems.
>
> I played around with FvwmEvent but did not get far.  I would appreciate
> if you could help me with this.

You should be aware of endless loops. Say, you listen to lower_window,
get win1 then you lower all 3 windows and get 3 new lower_window
events... Maybe "*FvwmEvent: Delay 2" will help you to avoid this.

Is the problem that your windows are CirculateSkip? Then do:

  Next (FvwmPager, CirculateHit) Lower

> In case you are wondering why I want to do this, here is the reason.
> I have three little windows near the bottom edge of the screen.
> A Pager, an Xosview, and an Xload.  Like this:
>

>      +------------+     +------------+     +------------+
>      |            |     |            |     |            |
>      |            |     |            |     |            |
>      +------------+     +------------+     +------------+
>
> If these windows are partially obscured by another application and
> if the user raises one of them, I want all three to raise at once,
> giving the impression that they are one whole unit, not three separate
> windows.
>
> PS:  I tried putting the three objects inside one FvwmButtons, but wasn't
> able to make transparent horizontal gaps between them.

This is indead the best solution. Can you try again with 2.5.x using
transparent colorset and "Style FvwmButtons ParentalRelativity"?

Regards,
Mikhael.