On Wed, Jul 09, 2003 at 10:46:16AM -0700, Tabetha Boyajian wrote:
> i am a beginner trying to use fvwm.  when i start it
> up, a background flashes (a pic  of a galaxy) then it
> changes to a splattered gray background.  how does one
> go about changing this gray background to something
> they like better, or the previous one that dissappears
> in a flash?

Look in your .xinitrc, .xsession, etc as well as .fvwm2rc.  Also look in
the system Xsession, xinitrc, etc.  You may have to hunt some to find
them, and not knowing what you're running, I don't know where to tell
you to look (though the system files are most likely in either /etc/X11
or /usr X11R6/lib).

>From what you're describing, something in the X11 startup chain is
something *else* is setting the default X/11 dithered 50% gray
background.  (Yes, it's unspeakably hideous, but it's the default
because it works even on a 1-bit display.)  Find where the image and the
dithered background are being set, disable the dithered gray, and you
should be set.  Better still, create your own .xsession file (assuming
you don't already have one, and assuming you're using a display manager
that honors it) and set up whatever you want in there.

 :  [EMAIL PROTECTED] : [EMAIL PROTECTED] : [EMAIL PROTECTED]  :