jon kersten wrote:
Hello,
I just installed Red Hat 5.2.  Logged on to root.  typed xdm, got the log in
screen.  Logged in as root again.  I now can not seem to shut down the
computer.  ctrlaltdel doesn't work.  Shutdown -h  now in the term window
doesn't seem to work, it just goes back to the xwindow log in screen.  Is it
safe to power down at this point?  I have FVWM2  window manager.
Thanks in advance, I have searched all 1020 pages of the SAMS book Red Hat
Linux Unleashed  and 861 pages of QUE's Using Unix.

  shutdown -h now

  man shutdown for more info

ctrl-alt-del usually works only from text console (not from X windows), use ctrl-alt-F1 to get to text console (usually F1 - F6 are text consoles, F7 is your X windows session)

you have better chances for good responses in more general linux mailing list/newsgroup, possibly specific to your distro.

        erik