On 03 Sep 2003 17:01:39 +0200, Dominik Vogt wrote:

> > > dnl     * boolean (no, yes or blank): whether to use library or not
> > > dnl     * file: assumed to be the name of the library
> > > dnl     * directory: assumed to *contain* the library
> > >
> > > It seems like there is simply no such directory $HOME/bin/libpng/lib.
> >
> > hello, i have verified that this is in fact a directory.  i've even gone
> > so far as to rebuild the libpng libraries and performed its own set of
> > diagnostics.  everything appears to be behaving AOK.  is there some way
> > for me to give more information that would be helpful?  please let me
> > know.  ..i miss my fvwm..
>
> Take a look at the config.log file generated by ./configure.  See
> where it tried to detect libpng.  The messages there may help you
> solve the problem.  If not, post the file to the mailing list.

The error message indicates it does not come to the png detection, it
fails on the --with-png-library argument parsing, i.e. it is neither
"yes", "no", existing file nor existing directory.

checking for Xpm 3.4g or better... yes
configure: error: argument must be boolean[, file, or directory]

Jesse, if you want fvwm back, recheck this directory and command line,
because I can only reproduce this error when there is no such directory.
Otherwise, if there is such directory configure should not abort, even
if this directory is empty.

There are several other ways to tell the configure about the non standard
library and include directories, like setting LDFLAGS and CPPFLAGS before
running configure (run it with --help).

Regards,
Mikhael.