On 3/8/06, Thomas Adam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > What happens is that, when I click on the pdf URL, firefox first
> > correctly displays the "Opening something.pdf" transient window, then
>
> Odd.  I downloaded Acroreader to see if I could reproduce this.  I
> can't.  Indeed, using Firefox (1.0.7) just starts Acroread externally
> without any intermediary transient window.
>
> > Acrobat Reader starts, but is immediately lowered behind the firefox
> > window, before I can even move to give focus to it.
> >
> > This is highly inconvenient.
>
> Indeed, although for me it doesn't happen here.  Acroread opens up above
> Firefox.
>
> Which version of FVWM are you running?
>
> > I'd like to have the acrobat window on top, so that I can give focus
> > (with the mouse), move it so that it overlaps only partially the
> > browser window and toggle front/back (with mouse focus, or eventually
> > menu buttons)
>
> Does:
>
> Style Acroread StartsRaised
>
> help any?
>
> > # see bug #36189 Style "AcroRead" SmartPlacement, RandomPlacement
>
> That style line is now incorrect.  With the version of Acroreader I have
> here (7.0.5), the Class of the window is 'Acroread'.  (Case is important).
> Although even if that line did run, it wouldn't solve your issue of this
> window being lowered.
>
> -- Thomas Adam
>
> --
> I've been too honest with myself, I should have lied like everybody else.

Perhaps a better solution is to set Firefox to use Acroread as a
plugin.  That way Acroread will open within Firefox.  I do this to
give Acroread tabs (a feature I think is sorely lacking in Acroread).

Now, I use Opera, not Firefox, but I think the way to do it is pretty
much the same.  Acroread comes with nppdf.so.  Mine is in
/usr/lib/Adobe/Acrobat7.0/Browser/intellinux/nppdf.so.  Opera looks
for plugins in several directories, and I just make a symlink to
nppdf.so in one of them.  I think Firefox works exactly the same way.
Firefox's plugin directory is /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/plugins/ on my
system.  I'm not exactly sure if this is all that is needed, because
my distribution sets up Acroread to work as a Firefox plugin
automatically.

--
Thanks,

Jonathan Kotta

Hofstadter's Law:
    It always takes longer than you expect, even
    when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.