On 8/10/06, Serge (gentoosiast) Koksharov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  Hello,

On Wed, Aug 09, 2006 at 02:21:12PM +0100, seventh guardian wrote:
> On 8/9/06, Serge (gentoosiast) Koksharov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >  Hello, Renato,
> >
> >On Wed, Aug 09, 2006 at 12:40:18AM +0100, seventh guardian wrote:
> >> Small notice: kate uses qt4, while djview uses qt3!! Serge, what were
> >> you compiling your app against? qt 3 or 4?
> >
> >Both sample app & DjView were compiled against Qt 3.3.6.
>
> Very well.. I'll try kate-3.. Could you send me the sample app?

See attached source file. It is very simple, but it proves that
showFullScreen() method of Qt toolkit works fine with FVWM. See its
description in Qt documentation:

file:///usr/qt/3/doc/html/qwidget.html#showFullScreen

After some messing around with qmake and the generated makefile I
managed to compile the program (having both qt3 and qt4 installed gets
messy..). There's one catch with it, which makes it impossible to test
for the problem with djview: it already starts as fullscreen. It
should be started in a normal window and then asked to go fullscreen.
This way we get to see if fvwm reparents the window or not..

http://doc.trolltech.com/3.3/qwidget.html#showFullScreen
There is this in the online documentation:

<quote>
Full-screen mode works fine under Windows, but has certain problems
under X. These problems are due to limitations of the ICCCM protocol
that specifies the communication between X11 clients and the window
manager. ICCCM simply does not understand the concept of non-decorated
full-screen windows. Therefore, the best we can do is to request a
borderless window and place and resize it to fill the entire screen.
Depending on the window manager, this may or may not work. The
borderless window is requested using MOTIF hints, which are at least
partially supported by virtually all modern window managers.
</quote>

Can someone more comfortable with fvwm's internals give their opinion
on the implications of this?

On the other hand and after looking at djview's code, things get a bit
messy because djview also uses direct X calls! The problem can be an
interaction between these calls and those from qt.

So lets first check why is fvwm reparenting the window, and only then
consider submitting a report upstream. Any ideas on how to check this
out?

It would be best to deal with this in the workers list now.

Cheers
 Renato

Bye

Serge Koksharov, Free Software user & supporter
GPG public key ID: 0x3D330896 (pgp.mit.edu)
Key fingerprint: 5BC4 0475 CB03 6A31 0076  82C2 C240 72F0 3D33 0896