I only have two main menus - root and windowlist. Popping up either on
my self-compiled fvwm 2.5.21 on Slackware-current causes cpu usage to
spike to 99%. This does not occur with other items like pagers.

This also occurred on another system I was experimenting with - forget
which one it was, though. And it was repeatable with 'fvwm -f /dev/null'
with the builtin menu and was repeatable at least back to 2.5.13 (can't
find my 2.5.12 to test). It is not present on the stock Slackware 2.4.20
and it is not present with the same 2.5.21 and Slackware 11 (or, more
accurately, -current as it was frozen at that point).

So I suspect this is something that was changed in fvwm between 2.4 and
2.5 that only manifests under certain combinations, such as xorg 7x or
glibc 2.5x or something like that. (I recompiled my 2.5.21 - which had
been built with gcc 3.4.6 and glibc 2.3.6 - with gcc 4.1.2 and glibc
2.5. but both show the problem, so I guess it's not a disjunction of
elements, but a combination.)

(I've also recently started playing with the nvidia drivers again, but
the behavior is consistent whether I use them or the 'nv' driver.)

According to the ChangeLog, the last perhaps-relevant code modified
before 2.5.13 that I can find is __mloop_get_event in menus.c but it may
be anywhere in the early 2.5 series.

Any help would be much appreciated.