I want to perform actions based on the current position of a window. I was
expecting to to use the (conditions) syntax, but I can't seem to find a way
to examine a window's position. I was imagining:

  ThisWindow ($[w.x] >= 0, $[w.x] < 400) do something ...

but it seems not to be available. Any suggestions?

My particular scenario is that I usually work with fairly fixed window
positions; I have Alt-Left bound to move the current window left by a
fixed number of pixels, and Alt-Right to move it right. However, this
only keeps things nice when all the window positions are the same width
and also doesn't prevent me moving a window off the edge of the display.

On some monitor sizes I do not have the same widths for adjacent windows;
my core scheme involves 80-column terminals (400 pixels wide) tiled
hroizontally. On a 1600 pixel wide display that gets me 4. On my 1400
pixel laptop (and other not 400 factored) I want 400 pixel terminals,
except for the one that spans the middle of the monitor, which I pad to
include whatever the remainder would be. This gives me a "wide" monitor
in the middle which is often handy.

The result of this is that my common window placements are somewhat like
arbitrary tab stops. On a 400/600/400 layout I want to move a window
from the left position to the middle with Alt-Right, and from the middle to
the right also with Alt-Right. And resize it.

Now, these "tab stops" are computed by a little python program when i
start FVWM and it also emits the FVWM commands to position and size. So
I have no problem bulk emitting a lot of special purpose functions to
move a window to arbitrary tab stops. However, what I don't have is a
way to decide _what_ to do based on the current window's position.

The only method I can think of right now involves a call to PipeRead
to run an external program to emit the move command, like:

  PipeRead "what-to-do,what-to-do? $w.x $w.y $w.dx $w.dy"

which feels cumbersome. Can I test this stuff inside FVWM?

Cheers,
--
Cameron Simpson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> DoD#743
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

You see: Mr. Drogo, he married poor Miss Primula Brandybuck.  She was our Mr.
Bilbo's first cousin on the mother's side (her mother being the youngest of
the Old Took's daughters); and Mr. Drogo was his second cousin.  So Mr. Frodo
is his first *and* second cousin, once removed either way, as the saying is,
if you follow me.       - the Gaffer, _Lord_of_the_Rings_