> On Monday 11 February 2008 01:40:10 Peder Stray wrote:
> > Anyone had any problems with the amarok tray icon while running fvwm under
> > gnome?
> >
> > I noticed that it never appears where it shoul when using fvwm, but it
> > does while running metacity.  Grip, which also makes a tray icon works
> > with both fvwm and metacity.  So i guess it is some kde vs fvwm stuff that
> > doesnt work as it should.
> >
> > Any ideas?
>
> That seems to have something to do with how KDE handles tray icons, not fvwm
> issue. I use fvwm and stalonetray for displaying tray icons and non-kde apps
> work fine e.g. psi and gtk-gnutella. But almost all KDE apps create small
> second window with the tray icon in it instead of being swallowed into tray.

the problem is related to the kde-specific implementation of the
systray. this behavior can also be observed using trayer or any other
non kde-native tray application that does not implement the
kde-specific systray protocol. to workaround this, run the app via
$ appbin && dcop kded kded loadModule kdetrayproxy
in case of, e.g., kopete:
$ kopete && dcop kded kded loadModule kdetrayproxy

regards,
    christian