On Sat, Jul 23, 2011 at 07:38:49PM +0100, Thomas Adam wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 23, 2011 at 11:56:19AM -0600, Glenn Golden wrote:
> > Recently I was capturing stderr from fvwm for debug purposes, and I noticed
> > that it contains some early error messages that look like they were
> > generated
> > by fvwm-menu-desktop. (The messages are identical to those seen when simply
> > invoking fvwm-menu-desktop from a bash commandline with no args.)
> >
> > These messages appear in the stderr stream prior to various "Echo" messages
> > that are issued by my StartFunction. And there's nothing in my config file
> > that explicitly invokes fvwm-menu-desktop (in fact my configuration does not
> > use xdg menu generation at all). This is why I am wondering if
> > fvwm-menu-desktop
> > is being invoked as a routine part of the init sequence.
> >
> > If so, is there a simple (i.e. config-able) way to prevent fvwm-menu-desktop
> > from being invoked?
>
> It gets called from SetRCDefaults() in fvwm.c -- but it's been designed to
> only be enacted if you're using the builtin menu and you move your mouse
> over the entry marked "Desktop Menu".  That's the only point at which
> fvwm-desktop-menu is invoked there.
>
> There might be something else starting it though, it depends how you're
> running FVWM.  When you say there's nothing in your config file, that's
> *NOT* the same as you invoking:
>
> fvwm -f /dev/null
>
> which you should do to be absolutely sure FVWM isn't invoking
> fvwm-menu-desktop directly through some system-wide config file, or
> something.

Oh, and if you could actually *paste* these errors as well -- you'll get the
same ones as you running:

fvwm-menu-desktop

directly from a terminal.  I'm not a mind-reader.

-- Thomas Adam

--
"Deep in my heart I wish I was wrong.  But deep in my heart I know I am
not." -- Morrissey ("Girl Least Likely To" -- off of Viva Hate.)