From: Ray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [FW-1] R55W & SSL Network Extender released
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 23:04:32 -0400

Both are now available from the Check Point download site. From a
presentation I saw on the SSL Extender, it looks pretty nice and is
supposed
to be priced the same as a SecureClient license although it seems to lack
the client-side firewall. Oddly, neither the license agreement nor the
release notes say how it's priced at all. Or at least not that I could
find.
No mention of license keys or anything, just that you have to have a valid
license and are subject to a license audit.

Unfortunately, the user guide says the client must have administrator
rights
to install, uninstall or upgrade the SSL Extender control. Even more
unfortunate, this release specifically requires R55 HFA04, which leaves
those of us on a later HFA due to Edge usage out of luck for now. No Nokia
packages yet either.

R55W's new web defense features do require a separate license, but all
existing SmartDefense features are supposed to still be available and have
been enhanced in various ways. In addition, peer-to-peer protection now
works regardless of the port the P2P application is trying to use.
Unfortunately, Floodgate is not supported in R55W, which probably means I
won't be able to use it. Neither is UserAuthority. No Nokia packages yet.

Ray

MSN Movies - Trailers, showtimes, DVD's, and the latest news from
Hollywood!
http://movies.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200509ave/direct/01/