From: Mateo Cabrera <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [FW-1] MESSENGER FILE TRANSFER BLOCK
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 14:20:23 -0300

NO...NO...NO...you don´t understand to me....!!!

IN A "R55" ENVIRONMENT:

I need to block FILE_TRANSFERs between two MSN clients client A and client
(with hotmail.com accounts) ok?
Both clients are located in differents locations...ok?
The client A are located behind a firewall.
In the Firewall i want to block the FILE_TRANSFER functionality for client
A.
I tried to configure a rule base that to permit HTTP, and
MSN_Services_group
except File_Transfer service.
Later, i to check the P2P-->MSN option in the SmartDefense and check the
"Perform strict protocol enforcement"
BUT...BUT...the clients A and B does continue to transfer the files.
Resuming even if i remove the FILE_TRANSFER service from the rule base the
file transference does continue.
In the log i saw that all connections to use the MSNP service. And if
remove
MSNP service from the rule the client A can´t iniziate the session.

?¿?¿?¿?¿?

Remember in a R55 environment.

Saludos, Mateo Cabrera - Soporte Técnico Security Advisor www.sadvisor.com

Well,

To answer  your question,  if there are on the same LAN segment and do not
pass through a firewall as their gateway, then file transfer cannot be
blocked. Why would you want to block file transfer internally between
users?
They can easily share files over the network or via email.

Now as for being able to transfer files with outside users, well, the new
versions of MSN don't even need MSN transfer protocols or any proprietary
protocols. They now tunnel over http and even if you have a proxy in place,
MSN will pick up the settings from IE and tunnel over the proxy. The only
way to block MSN Messenger is at the proxy level if it is aware of MSN
Messenger or at the firewall level via Smartdefense. However, Smartdefense
will stop all MSN related traffic altogether and users would not be even
able to log on to MSN, let alone transfer files.

Girard Moussa

Hello, Now when I read your message I think that I remember something like the MSN files transfer don't involve MSN servers, but only the two PC (sender and destination); when they are in the same network it is obvious that this doesn't pass through your FW.

Mihai