[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
cisco4ng
Sent: Friday, March 03, 2006 8:24 AM
To: FW-1-MAILINGLIST@AMADEUS.US.CHECKPOINT.COM
Subject: [FW-1] NGx Provider-1 deployment question

This question is for gurus in this forum.

  I need advice on Provider-1 NGx deployment.

  We are looking at deploying Provider-1 NGx R60A or R61 to manage about

500 Enforcement Modules over the Internet for 250 customers
(H/A solution).  The enforcement modules will be a mixture of Nokia
and SPLAT.  We're looking at running Provider-1 NGx on Intel hardware
(8 CPUs and 64GB of RAM but that will be determined later).

  Since we will be managing customers firewall over the Internet, does
it make sense to assign public IP addresses to provider-1 as well as
the CMAs themselves instead of assigning private IP addresses to the
Provider-1 and CMAs and then make them available via static NAT.
  My reason for assigning public IPs to Provider-1 and CMAs is as
follows:

  1) Starting with NG with AI R55, under the "NAT" feature of the CMA,
one can check the box and specify the CMA is behind a firewall and tell
it to accept firewall control connection.  However, this method only
applies if the firewall in front of the provider-1 and CMAs is a
"checkpoint" firewall.  If the firewall protecting Provider-1 and CMAs
is a Cisco Pix or Netscreen, this method will not work.  I know this
because I got burned before with Provider-1 & CMAs deployment that was
protected by a Cisco Pix firewall. Static NAT will not work if the
firewall
  protecting Provider-1 is anything but a checkpoint firewall.

  2) Even if Provider-1 & the CMAs are protected by the Checkpoint
firewall,
due to the nature of SIC and used of certificated, I was told by
checkpoint (back in 2004) that there are still limitations to static NAT
the CMAs.
For example, you can push the policy from the CMA to the enforcement
module; however, you can not "fetch" the policy on the Nokia or SPLAT
enforcement modules because the CMA has private IP and it is being NATed
by the checkpoint firewall, "fetch" from the enforcement module will not
work.  Is this still true in NGx in 2006?

  3) By assignning public IPs to Provider-1 and CMAs, I can place
a firewall from any vendors in front of provider-1 and CMAs to protect
them.  I can go with Checkpoint, Cisco Pix or Netscreen.  The
Enforcement
modules will see the CMAs with the actuall public IP addresses, not the
NAT address.  The firewall in front of Provider-1 will NOT be doing
any address translation.  Therefore, I will not have the SIC and
certificate issues.  The reason I like to go with either Cisco Pix
or Netscreen to protect the Provider-1 & CMAs is because the performance

on these firewalls are excellent.  I also know that I am trading
performance for stateful inspection but that is something I can
tolerate.

  4) As long as the firewall in front of Provider-1 and CMAs has a
strong
security policy, I should not have any issues exposing to hackers on
the Internet.  The firewall in front of Provider-1 and CMAs will be
doing
  routing and inspecting NOT packet manipulation (i.e. static NAT).
Therefore,
  my SIC and certificate are solved.

  Those are my reasons for assigning public IPs addresses to Provider-1
&
CMAs.  Are there any advantages of assigning private IP addresses to
Provider-1 & CMAs and static NAT them to manage remote Enforcement
Modules?

  Your comments are very appreciated.  TIA

  cisco4ng

http://mail.yahoo.com