I have this same problem with ZF 1.6.1. My mail server is Exchange and long
subjects work fine using PHP's mail() function, but not using Zend_Mail. It
seems that the problem lays in Zend_Mail->_encodeHeader() method.

This is the code used to replicate the issue:

// Works
$subject = '¿Tu sueldo es justo? a que no... entonces entra a Trabajar.com y
                búscate un curro donde te paguen muuuuuuuchísima pasta!';
mail('[EMAIL PROTECTED]', $subject, 'Test');

// Does not work as expected
$transport = new Zend_Mail_Transport_Smtp();
$mail = new Zend_Mail('utf-8');
$mail->setBodyText('Qué largo este asunto, no?');
$mail->setFrom('[EMAIL PROTECTED]', 'CuantoGanas.com');
$mail->setSubject($subject); // The same long line as above
$mail->setReturnPath('[EMAIL PROTECTED]');
$mail->addTo('[EMAIL PROTECTED]');
$mail->send($transport);

Thanks!