-- Benjamin Eberlei <kont...@beberlei.de> wrote
(on Tuesday, 13 January 2009, 06:11 PM +0100):
> great post ralph! this is a step into a brighter future ;-D
>
> my two cents though.
>
> 1. having __construct(array $options); is cool from a simplicity point but it
> hides dependencies, since in an array you couldinclude ANYTHING. Most
> components also don't require the dependencies to be set in constructor, they
> take all sort of options and set them but don't raise an exception when a
> depdenency xyz misses.
>
> When you have a sensible default depdenency this would make sense though.

It would be the job of the constructor to ensure that required options
are passed, then -- or to provide defaults (potentially through an
overloaded accessor that lazyloads a default).

> ezcComponents uses constructor struct objects for configuration. You would
> have
> an object Zend_Controller_Config which enforces some variables and is given
> the constructor. I like this alot, since objects always allow for more checks
> on variables than arrays.

However, this adds another dependency to using the objects -- you then
need a value object before you can even use the object. If we allow
either an array or a Zend_Config object, we give more flexibility in
userland code for how the options are retrieved and passed to the
constructors (they could be subtrees of an application-wide
configuration object, or a serialized JSON array stored in memcached,
etc).

> 2. component registries are a great thing IF they are not singletonized. They
> allow for type checking and consistency checks where the Zend_Registry does
> not.

If you look closely at Ralph's example, you'll notice it wasn't static.
:) He and I have discussed this a fair bit, and the idea is that
factories and other "gateway" classes would push themselves and/or the
registry down into the subcomponent objects.

> You could always make a container go into Zend_Registry to make it global,
> but
> this should be optional, and pleeease let us just forget the singleton
> antipattern. :-)
>
> If component registries are used we should make sure that all dependencies
> are
> overwritable with them, for example the PluginLoader of Zend_Controller for
> helpers is hardcoded into the front controller. The component registry should
> include all objects that might impliciltly be set deep in the object graph of
> the component. That would be super!
>
> 3. Implicit dependencies and work in the Constructor
>
> Dependency Injection is also about not having implicit dependencies or much
> work in the constructor. We should evaluate all components based on this.
> Having a "new Something()" inside an object constructor is evil, aswell as
> doing lots of stuff that you cannot influence.

I've been pushing the setOptions/setConfig paradigm for a while, and it
works really well with DI. Your constructor then passes the options on
to setOptions() which attempts to call setters named after the keys. The
result is that it allows you to push your dependencies in at
instantiation -- leaving the constructor needing to simply check for
required settings (if any) only.

Software Architect       | matt...@zend.com
Zend Framework           | http://framework.zend.com/