I've had good results with always using the unit test bootstrap even when
running individual tests. To ensure the bootstrap is used, I always execute
phpunit from the same directory as my phpunit.xml file (or pass in the
--configuration argument). Something like this:

phpunit --configuration src/tests/phpunit.xml --group models

--
Hector Virgen
Sent from my Droid X