Detecting a mobile device in the bootstrap seems way too early for me. I
haven't used Zend_Useragent yet, but what I know about the bootstrap is that
it's there to *prepare* your application for running. So it wouldn't make
sense to me to detect mobile browsers during bootstrapping. A
front-controller plugin seems the best approach.

Have you tried my suggestions? It seems you should be able to write some
quick logic in your plugin. In pseudo code:

if [Zend_Useragent detects a mobile browser] AND [mobile view script exists]
then update view renderer's view script suffix

--
*Hector Virgen*
Sr. Web Developer