On Mon, Apr 9, 2018 at 5:10 PM, David Klann <dkl...@grunch.org> wrote:

> -B is supported, but since I'm encrypting with GPG, the contents are
> opaque to me. I don't see a way in the man page or a tool to decode an
> encrypted SPA packet. The contents on the two clients' saved output
> (from -B) are (as I would expect) very different.
>
> In a similar vein, I ran fwknop --test --verbose -n <destination> on
> both clients and compared the output. Other than the expected
> differences (timestamps, random numbers, etc.) the two runs look largely
> similar. The one significant (to me) difference is the FKO version:
> 2.0.2 on the non-working client, and 3.0.0 on the working client.
>
> Hmmmmm... I *thought* I'd done this... I compared the dumped data (with
> --verbose) on the client with the contents of the packet as captured on
> one of the servers VERBOSE 2 in fwknopd.conf. I see now that the packet
> from the failing client is truncated when displayed in the log by the
> server. The packet contents from the working client are identical to the
> VERBOSE output on the server.
>
> It looks like the failing client is sending seventeen *more* characters
> than server is receiving. Just eyeballing it, the two packet contents
> are identical up to the truncation point. I feel like I've run into this
> before in a slightly different context.

Hi David,

That is interesting. What are the GPG key sizes that you are using?
Anything beyond 2048 bits may produce encrypted SPA data that is too large
to fit within a single (Ethernet) frame. There are tricks to get around
this though, like this one:
https://it-offshore.co.uk/security/85-fwknop-4096-bit-rsa-keys

When the incoming SPA packet from the client is truncated, are you seeing
that within fwknopd output? If you use tcpdump (with a snaplen of zero -
something like 'tcpdump -i eth0 -l -nn -s 0 -X') does the incoming packet
appear to not be truncated but fwknopd says it is?

Thanks,

--Mike

> I'm running the test suite now ...
>
> Thanks!
>
>   ~David
>

> On 04/09/2018 02:48 PM, sean.gre...@gmail.com wrote:
> > Hey,  hadda check😀
> >
> > Have you used the -B on the clients and compared the two generated SPA
> packets?  (I think it’s still a valid flag to the command line client) I
> can’t check st the moment as there is a huge power outage in my area.
> >
> > Regards Sean
> >

> > Sent from my iPhone
> >
> >> On 9 Apr 2018, at 18:25, David Klann <dkl...@grunch.org> wrote:
> >>
> >> Good call Sean, and yes -- all four computers are running either ntpd or
> >> the systemd equivalent. Time is synchronized on all of them.
> >>
> >> Thanks for your thought!
> >>
> >>  ~David

> synchronised right?

> 1)

> more

> 2.6.9-4

Michael Rash | Founder
http://www.cipherdyne.org/
Key fingerprint = 53EA 13EA 472E 3771 894F  AC69 95D8 5D6B A742 839F