[Sorry Philippe, I sent this as a private reply first, so you've seen
this already...]

Philippe 'BooK' Bruhat schreef op 04 december 2001:
> On Tue, 4 Dec 2001, Rick Klement wrote:
> > I'm now at 92 with no assistance  :)
>
> I am at 94 with the assistance of the previous fwp thread for mid.pl...

There is a very nice 26-character mid.pl solution which is not based on
anything in that thread.

> And I also cheated in head.pl (tsanta.pl accepts it, but it doesn't work
> as expected...) to shave off one keystroke.

If you have the same solution as Piers and me, that cheat will not be
accepted by Santa.

> > Mine are all simple straightforward perl, with only one using a
> > command line switch, and then just with the obvious usage, none
> > of this hinted trickery. I guess I'm just not trying hard enough. :)
>
> I guess mine are too. But Piers head.pl entry (I refer to the use.perl.org
> journal entry I shouldn't have read) is very good. And it's
> straightforward Perl, as documented in Amelia. I didn't think about it,
> even though I translated the whole chapter 3 in French. :-S

One of my solutions depends on rather illogical behaviour, which is not
defined in any documentation that I know of. one or more of the others
use rather obscure constructs, comparable to the one used in Piers'
head.pl.

> I am very curious to see what else than the obvious can be done for
> rev.pl. And I wonder if shorter than the obvious is possible (I guess so).

The obvious one was, I guess, found by one of the first submitters.
According to the first standings, Japhy was the first hole leader, even
though several people with a lower total score came along later. Let's
assume that he had that obvious solution. If there is a new leader on
hole 3 in the next standings, there must be a shorter one...

Eugene