i has a similar issue just recently with my Lombard. In this
instance overheating was caused by the HD continuously seeking even in
sleep mode (one could hear it). The machine however behaved normally if
logging in under a different, newly created user. You might want to try
this step as well before turnung the machine in. I was also advised by
list members to send my HD under warranty for replacement, which I was about
to do, but Hitachi insisted I'd do some troubleshooting first.

cheers, gianfranco