----- Original Message -----
From: "Jack Kilmon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Jim West" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: <g-megillot@McMaster.ca>
Sent: Wednesday, December 22, 2004 11:02 PM
Subject: Re: [Megillot] Qumran history, again

> The Essene Gate did lead to something...the Bethso (Latrines) which the
> Essenes were required to use in accordance to Dt. 23:13 with  Miq'vaot on
> the return path.  The gate was cut through the existing structure in the
> Roman period and 30-50 Essene kohanym were supposed to have beem living in
> the SW corner of the city.  I think Pixner's article was convincing.

The hypothesis of the existence of an Essene quarter in Jerusalem is hardly
more than "a very tempting probability" (P. Pixner, Quarter, p.247). And
"...some random excavations... have brought to light baths that resemble
(sic!) in many ways those of Qumran" (p.271). What does such an resemblance
actually prove? Nothing!

_Dierk