Russell Gmirkin,

As you may recall, I am aware of your proposal to move the text from
"Palestinian Syria" (Loeb tr, section 75) to Alexandria, Egypt. If I had been
persuade of your Alexandria move and your too-late dating--Every Good Man is
Free is a youthful work of Philo--then I would not have written what I did. The
subject in Every Good is not the Romans, but Hasmoneans. As to your claim that
no such ruler killed his own people, perhaps reread 4Qpesher Nahum in which
Alexander Jannaeus, compared to a Lion, crucified fellow-countrymen, or reread
Josephus Antiquities 13, 375f, in which, reportedly, Jannaeus "slew no fewer
that fifty thousaand Jews." So, for these and other reasons, I find your
proposal not persuasive.
best
Stephen Goranson

Quoting [EMAIL PROTECTED]: