Hi Joe,

I personally don’t think that Hanan Eshel lied to me in my interview (but perhaps I am being naive), so unless someone has proof to the contrary I don’t see why anyone would not believe the story as Eshel tells it (and Eshel was not working alone, he had students who could corroborate his story).

I think you are being a bit too skeptical.. but please, prove me wrong.  Who are your “informed sources”? Who believes they came from Cave 4?

-Tyler Williams

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Joe Zias
Sent: August 5, 2005 2:04 PM
To: . .; Stephen Goranson
Cc: g-megillot@McMaster.ca
Subject: Re: [Megillot] Jannaeus, His Brother Absalom, and Judah the Essene

Informed sources tell me that the fragments from the 'newly' robbed cave have been making the rounds for sometime and were seen by other scholars before the cave story was ever invented. Hard to believe the story that the archaeologist was taken to the cave by the Bedouin and found a newspaper there validating the Bedouin story, as if between the looting the Bedouin would take a break to read the local news. In short, the fragments are believed to have come from Cave 4, back in the 50's and were hidden for sometime before their sudden 'Indiana Jones' appearance. Good copy but the truth lies elsewhere.

Joe Zias