If you read carefully you will see that, far from denying that Essenes lived at Qumran, I suggest that they may well have done but under the auspices of the Royal estate in Jericho. As an industrial suburb Qumran had too great a strategic and utilitarian value for it to be a 'closed theological society'.

David
To: <g-megillot@McMaster.ca>
Sent: Tuesday, July 25, 2006 12:16 PM
Subject: [Megillot] Hasmoneans, control and not

Quoting David Stacey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
[....]
(Hasmoneans would not have tolerated any sort of 'independent' Qumran not under its control).
[....]

Statements such as the above are not rare. But, I suggest, such statements may be more asserted than demonstrated. Hasmoneans did not prevent, among other things, sectarianism. Various realities existed without Hasmoneans necessarily wishing for such realities. Saying that Jannaeus could have attacked them there is not equivalent to saying that he did so. And his wife and successor: is there good reason to assert that during her rule "independent" communities ("of any sort") cannot have existed? And some of this calculus depends, doesn't it, on the date the Hellenistic period settlement began? That a community of Essenes
lived on the northwest shore of the Dead Sea, I suggest, was not among the
greatest of the Hasmoneans' (nor Herod's) worries.

Stephen Goranson
http://www.duke.edu/~goranson/jannaeus.pdf