Golb's response like many other arguments put forth  by the  'revisionists'
ignores the archaeological evidence in favor of the  textual evidence. For
example, he believed that the cemetery was that  of soldiers whereas of the 40
plus skeletons recovered there, there are  no signs of violence. Secondly, what
is impt. with our finding of the  latrines is not the fact that, aside from one
parasite, we found the  parasites there, it is the distance and direction of
the find from the  site itself. In fact, two of the three parasites found there
are so  common in the third world today and in the past that their presence in
fecal material is of little scientific concern, however the place, I  would
like to emphasize, is.
  Lastly, of all the archaeological  sites in the region, Masada, Ein Gedi,
Jericho, Qumran is the most  simple and understandable. I wish all sites in the
Holy Land were as  easy to understand. The reason that it is so confusing is
due in large  part to those writing about the site without any specialized
training  in anthro. or archaeology. The latrine in Locus 51, is a prime
example,  some regarded it as a 'tabun' (stove) whereas others believed it was
a  latrine. For years the debate went on. Instead of arguing about it all  one
has to do is what we did, take a few grams of dirt from the locus  and have it
analyzed by a parasitologist. If it's grain then it's  cooking, if it's
parasites then its a toilet which we proved. Same for  the stables, it's not
rocket science and a bit amusing and  disconcerting to see colleagues with
budgets running into thousands of  dollars digging in the dark for whatever and
not coming up with  anything at all. As a result, to satisfy those
 funding the excavations  there and the media, things in the past have been
planted in the site  to keep certain media people and supporters happy. For
more on this  topic I suggest reading my article in Revue de Qumran 'Skeletons
with  multiple personality disorders and other grave errors'.  In fact,  that
famous 'zinc coffin' ca 1st cent AD that I claimed to have been planted  in the
site for the media was recently found to have been coated with  barium-titanium
paint, first patented in the 1920's to retard  corrosion.  Two of the three
C-14 dates for the handful of  skeletal remains from the cemetery showed dates
from the late  pre-historic period. Obviously, there were not published. The
list is  long.

  Joe Zias

  :

Joe Zias www.joezias.com