Peter wrote:

> On Sep 3, 2008, at 10:25 AM, Len Gerstel wrote:
>
>>> Folks, while we're discussing the disk drive topic, I have a question
>>> about PCI IDE controllers. Does one need a special model with Mac
>>> firmware, or will any PCI iDE card suffice?
>>> Thanks!
>> You need a Mac compatible one. A windows one will not work.
>
> The kexts which come with OS X list which IDE cards are supported. In
> each case, only the Mac-compatible cards are supported.

Before any kexts get involved the card needs Mac compatible firmware
since the Mac uses this in order to read in the OS.  If the firmware
can't boot up the Mac it's just taking up space in a PCI slot.

Same as video cards.  Other cards, network, firewire, USB and so on
don't need firmware as they aren't accessed until the OS loads.  But
video cards and disk interface cards need firmware to be loaded at boot
time.

--
Clark Martin
Redwood City, CA, USA