At 7:47 PM -0700 10/16/2008, Paul wrote:
>The Java updates are large, but seem to be incremental, with later
>updates requiring earlier updates to be installed.

hum.  Thought they were monolithic.

>I have other questions about Java:
>
>1. What version should I have on an OS 10.4.11 installation.

The latest Java for Mac OS X 10.4 is release 7.

The actual build is:
  Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_16-b06-275)
   Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_16-132, mixed mode)

>I got the machine from someone else

*bzzzzzt*   Stop.   At this point, you have no idea what has been
done to that system.  The previous owner might have been deleting
things, installing keyloggers, etc.  Backup your data.  Erase the
drive.  Do a clean installation of OS X.  Then let Software Update
roll it up to the latest.

>My guess is that I don't need 1.3, but is it worth removing, and
>how would I do it, anyway?

Leave it be.  Java is one of those environments that changes from
release to release.  You come up on an applet that for some dumb
reason requires the older... and you've deleted it,,, then you're
going to waste time trying to figure out why it's crashing.  The
installation as-is, lets the applet pick which release to use.

>2. If I install 10.4 from scratch, and update to 10.4.11 with one
>file, what Java updates should I apply?

Let Software Update do it.  It should pick release 7.

>With Java, I'm used to the PC world, where you go to a Sun website

In the Windoze world there are two Java engines:  There's the
"illegal" abomination created by MS.  Then there's the legit, er a
lawsuit settlement, release you get from Sun.

Apple has no such legal problem.  They take Sun's Java, fix it up,
and provide it directly to us.

HTH,
- Dan.
--
- Psychoceramic Emeritus; South Jersey, USA, Earth