On Oct 23, 2008, at 6:26 AM, Simon Royal wrote:

> Hi.
>
> A quick question about mixing USB 2 and 1.1 devices.
>
> My new eMac has 3x USB 2 ports. I'll have a USB 2 hub plugged in.
>
> Plugging USB devices into a hub will slow the whole hub down to USB
> 1, but I you can mix the on the Mac itself.
>
> You can have a USB 1 device plugged into port 1 and a USB 2 device
> plugged into port 2 or 3 and it will make no difference to speed.
>
> Is it just a hub thing?

Strictly speaking it's a bus thing.

Look at System Profiler...you'll see that each of your USB ports is a
separate USB bus.

Plugging a USB1 device into USB2 bus will slow down all traffic on
that bus to USB1 speeds, so if you do have USB1 only devices (which,
frankly speaking, are pretty rare) keep 'em segregated on their own
USB port on your Mac.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona