On Oct 28, 2008, at 1:13 PM, Al Poulin wrote:

> Thank you Bruce and Dan.  So TM/C, both of them, are mixed blessings,
> best summarized as flakey.
>
> On Oct 28, 2008, at 4:20 AM, g3-5-list group wrote:
>
>> == 3 of 3 ==
>> Date: Mon, Oct 27 2008 5:09 pm
>> From: Dan
>>
>> 0.  TM spins violently if stopped suddenly.  This leaves you quite
>> vulnerable to Morlock attacks.
>
> In this plain-English paragraph where enumeration begins with an
> ADPish "0," I saw mystery until Google and Wikipedia cited Marvel
> Comics and H. G. Wells.  Stupid me!  Anyway, I take it that Morlock
> attacks in TM are not a specific, known type of technical failure.
> I'm going to peek into Apple's fora.
>
> Are the TM and TC less prone to problems in a home environment than in
> the office with multiple users?  At home, what can users do to
> minimize risk where any two of four Macs may be running
> simultaneously?  Should we manage the use to only one Mac at a time?

Well, we're all on the 3rd floor here, so Morlocks are less of an
issue. Too much daylight to contend with  :-)

I have no experience with Time Capsule, only Time Machine with
attached FW drives servicing a single computer. In those situations,
I've had no issues.

I have all my systems plugged into decent UPS'es, so I've had no drive
failures so far.

Based on communications with my users (I've asked them specifically)
they're not seeing the problems that Dan is seeing.

I've gotten occasional notices that the backup failed, but running it
again manually fixed the issue.

I've recovered files from the backup, so so far the drives haven't
been being corrupted.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona