Thank you Dan, this brings me a lot closer to a decision.

On Nov 7, 11:11 am, Dan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The nature of the backup is such that you need lower level access
> than AFP provides.  CCC supports this by creating an encrypted tunnel
> between the two Macs then running on each.  I haven't tested it yet
> but am planning to.  Check the CCC docs for details.  (This is what
> Bill is talking about re Credentials in his reply).

I googled "AFP"  and I see "Apple Filing Protocol."  Does this mean
CCC does not involve sharing?

> After you do OS and app updates on the master Mac, update the system
> areas of the backup.  ...   (Bruce is smiling as he pops aspirin)
> This method works well because it makes efficient use of the backup
> storage.  But it requires that the Macs be managed properly and
> things be thought out carefully.  Great potential to make a mess.

No sale.  Bruce can relax!

> Having them run to a NAS ... means they're speed limited by the
> network.

Not so bad, right?  As long as I do not use WiFi, and with gigabit
ethernet on all machines and switches except for one iBook G4?  This
can be better than, or as good as USB 2 for typical real world
throughput?  This I see in "Exploring Time Capsule: theoretical speed
vs practical throughput"
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/03/28/exploring_time_capsule_theoretical_speed_vs_practical_throughput.html

> And that drive is running all the time - so you'll need to make other backups
> too.

Is this always the case?  I thought that some external hard drive
models spin down when there is no reading/writing.  I seem to remember
seeing complaints in these lists that response to demand for access is
therefore not immediate.

What other backups would I need?

Thanks again,
Al Poulin