Thanks for your input esp. about the pair gaining.  My modems are v.
92 & isp is at least V.90 dial-up.  Yup - I've had telco here several
times over the years and they even ran a new line to the house from
the the main cable pedestal, put new lines in the house and new
jacks.  The problem is with the main cable in this location - it is
in a rural area close to a small town and they just don't want to
spend the money replacing the twisted pair cable that has probably
been here since at least the early sixties.  The techs admitted to me
that the cable was noisy all the way into town but claim that it
meets their required db standards for telephone communication.
Actually, the service has degraded over the years - at one time I was
averaging 33k. As for Ernie's very helpful comments, I've noticed the
clamp as well - time I contacted telco again.
I've given up that they will ever do anything unless there is
substantial profit to be made for them or enough people across the
country get together for a class action.  The only type of connection
my phone lines justify is a very low-cost service which the ISP
assures me is 56k capable.  I've never had the ability for high-speed
downloads.  Forget about watching "you tube," a live netflix film,
any streaming video or listening to live streaming audio such as
Internet radio.  Oh, well . . . Count your blessings and so will I.

J.

Ok.  So your initial carrier speed is low.  But then to what speed
does it later retrain?  IF the usable carrier remains that slow, over
a V.90 dial-up, then you have telephone line noise problems.  You
should fix that.

If you can get xDSL over 200 Kbps then it's already done.  (200 Kbps
is the FCC's baseline criteria for "broadband".  Yes, it's so low
it's made us a world-wide joke.)  Besides getting basic phone
services to most rural areas, that's what the Universal Services Fund
did.  Of course, that massive fund has now been dumped into the
general fund, so it vanished in a puff of national debt.  These days,
it's being used to wire schools.

One limitation I have not seen mentioned recently is the practice of
some TelComs of doubling their subscribers in remote rural areas by
Pair Gaining the existing Copper Pairs thatservice the remote areas.

In my former home in Central California, 35 miles of cable from the
nearest CO, the TelCom pair gained the existing  T-1 effectively
making 2X T-1 out of the existing T-1. In the process they reduced
the 56K internet service to 24K.

The Pair Gain is accomplished by time sharing the incoming T-1 line
to provide 2 out going lines. This requires A-D conversion that
reduces the available Bandwidth for the two outgoing lines.

When I complained they just said they only guaranteed noise free
Voice communication.

The service was clamped at 24K during most hours of the day.  I could
achieve download speeds of near 1000K for the first few seconds until
the clamp was activated. This was most noticeable at around 3 AM when
the other, about 100 phones, more normal people were sleeping.

I did find out that Twisted Pair Copper would support 1000K downloads
when there was no repeaters or shunts in the phone line run and if
the the line was quiet.

That 1000K was as reported by the Test site. I used iCab set to not
display Images to download a 1+M Image of a Sea Turtle. The site then
calculated the Time to complete the download. It would seem the Modem
must have had a large Buffer.

Apple at one time had a small app for download that would allow the
user to easily modify the Phone Script. I played with it in a vain
attempt to increase my download speed before I discovered the Pair
Gain dodge the TelCom was using.

I used an External Modem given to me by a PC friend that claimed it
had some special computer inside the box. I think I still have all
that stuff amongst my treasures. As I recall it was marked as a 33.6K
Modem but in reality, when properly scripted, it had no limit I ever
found.

I was using an Umax S-900 233M Mac OS 8.1, 9.1 and 9.2.2