Hello,

Telco sent out a friendly tech who lives in a semi-rural area as I
do.  He informed me that there were no problems from AT&T's
perspective but admitted that the lines were old, probably somewhat
corroded and had not been replaced because of the concentration of
users in the area.  He said the cost of running new cables - from the
box that connects with the trunk line from the main switch - to the
homes and businesses in the area was around $200,000.  And that box
is about 2 miles, as the crow flies, from the main switch in the
nearest town.  The likelyhood of an upgrade is slim unless the Fed
starts to print money for everyone, including AT&T, who decides to
update the telecommunications infrastructure.
The problems I can fix are an old, faulty phone and some jacks that I
can replace myself.  Probably, just going to have to keep working
with the slow dial-up.  At least my ISP serves many people in the
area with similar problems and offers an $80 per year connection
package.  You can't beat that price and with poor quality lines, why
pay more?

J.