On 26/11/2008, at 11:18 AM, Bruce Johnson wrote:

> On Nov 25, 2008, at 5:05 PM, Brian Christmas wrote:
>

>> G'day listers
>>
>> Further to the saga of the Sawtooth I donated to the neighbors kids
>>
>> I've managed to borrow a 21" monitor that fits the existing
>> connector,
>> just to check the graphics card, but now the sawtooth is kernel
>> panicking after bootup. Sometimes it gets as far as the desktop
>> before
>> the kp. If  it gets to the desktop, we get the spinning wheel and no
>> mouseclick response.
>>
>> The boot screen and desktop are VERY large, and I suspect the kids
>> have set the resolution to a quite low setting. Perhaps that's why
>> the
>> 17" monitor became defunct.
>>

> No. Lower resolution would not affect a monitor.
>
>> Would this be the reason for the kp's, and is there any way of
>> setting
>> the resolution to a higher value before the kp.
>>

> No. MOnitor settings would have nothign to do with the kp
>
> This sounds like hardware.
>
> Does it do this in safe mode?
>
> Mount it in FW target mode and see what the panic logs say.

G'day, and thanks Bruce. The sawtooth runs fine in safe mode, and I
removed all the startup items and reset the resolution, but it still
kp's when starting in normal mode. Also removed the processor and
cleaned out a copious amount of firmly set dust under it.

I tried repairing permissions but only got a spinning wheel for 30
minutes while reading the data base, so cancelled.

Also, the Airport card has stopped working. Is this normal in safe mode?

I think a system restore is in order on the weekend.

Regards

Santa