On 29-11-2008 22:55, jonas ulrich, [EMAIL PROTECTED], wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 29, 2008 at 1:42 PM, J.M.P.Hissel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

>> On 29-11-2008 21:32, jonas ulrich, [EMAIL PROTECTED], wrote:
>>
>>> I have a powerbook lombard 333MHZ. I put a new pram in it because it was
>>> losing time. It seemed to hold the time fine until recently it no longer
>>> holds the correct time. It has a bad main battery could this cause any
>>> problems?
>>
>> No. With a bad main battery or without a m.b. at all, A GOOD PRAM battery
>> must hold date and time.
>> Perhaps you have got a too old "new" one which will be already dead now. I
>> saw this very often. When buying batteries, ALWAYS check the
>> production-date
>> and never accept any being older then 1 yr., preferably 6 months.
>> Another possibility can be: Battery "does not sit" properly or battery
>> and/or seat are dirty.
>
> Thanks but i think i solved it. According to apple the pram will only hold a
> 3-5 hour charge without being plugged in and without a main battery preset.

Sorry, but I don't believe that for I no-where can find an Apple document
saying that. And my 18 yrs of exp. with Apple Notebooks is different. F.e. I
have a Kanga (first PB G3) in my kitchen. Has a dead main battery and is
only connected to the wall when in use. Yesterday I used the Kanga after
being unplugged and without a main battery for 8 days!! Date and time showed
up correctly!!
So I strongly believe you are mixing up the (unplugged) lifetime of the main
battery (3-5 hours is normal) and the lifetime of the PRAM battery (normally
several years)!
For the rest: Switching down the PRAM battery after 3-5 hours would be a
redicoulus construction! And besides that, it would include a time-switch
and I never have heard of or seen such in any personal computer!
So I would say read my answer before again and give it a try.
In case of doubt use a battery-tester (under US$ 15) or let it it test by a
prof. techn. Using a voltmeter only is useless!

Otherwise I woukd say, please tell us where you got that Apple wisdom
saying: "....the pram will only hold a 3-5 hour charge without being plugged
in and without a main battery preset."

Again, HTH,

Jo Hissel